The Circus People and the Tivoli People
Mundeling in Søkælderen (the Lake Basement)
Christian Adolph Andreas Mundeling, born 1832 in Ditmarsken, was a grinder and came to Sømosen in 1877. It has been said that Mundeling ruled in Sømosen, and he built a large cottage, Lyrehuset, together with his wife, Anna Catharina Dorothea Lucia Hertzberg.
They had 12 children together, among others Erhardt and Justine Mundeling. Erhardt learned the grindercraft from his father, but also started to learn acrobatics and buskering acts, and he gradually started to entertain on his travels around the country. Over time, Mundeling succeeded with his circus, and soon enough he bought a tent that could fit 200 spectators. In 1903, Mundeling bought "Villa Vinterhvile" in Brovst. Here, he also bought a riding hall with a circus ring that was no less than 13 metres in diameter. Today, this old circus ring is placed in the Rhododendron Park in Brønderslev, full functioning and now known as “Den Runde Pavillon” (the Round Pavillon).
In 1926, after 30 years as circus director, Mundeling closed the circus. Erhardt's sister, Justine Mundeling, an attractive and fine lady, stayed in Sømosen for a long time. In 1900, she built a cottage out of sundried clay stone. She lived in the house until 1931, when she sold the house to Polack Marie for 200 kroner. Afterwards, she moved to Aalborg and died in 1958.
Polack Marie lived in the small cottage until December 1954. The cottage eventually collapsed, but you can still see the marks of clay from the bricks of the cottage to this day.